Friday, February 25

Homeostasis Reached. Next Stop, ... ?

My recent forced absence from Facebook (I deactivated my account due to addiction:/) has led to talking-to-the-internet withdrawals. I like having things to say, and I like saying them in a place where people can see them. I mean, I keep a journal. But this is different. That's just way too much like talking to myself and we already know how close to insane I am!

So, I have revisited my blog. Hello blog, nice to see you. 

Well, it's the second semester of college and I am both technically and emotionally no longer a freshman.
My floormates were gathered in the floor lounge to discuss who was moving out and which beds were going to be empty at the start of the new semester. The list of people moving out included me, for which my roommates (and even I, a little) were very sad. When it was mentioned that we would probably be getting some new students i.e. people who waited a semester or graduated high school early, one girl exclaimed, "Wait - we're getting new freshmen? Ugh!" 
But we are all still freshmen. So what's the difference? The difference is, I don't think I've ever grown up so quickly as I did last semester, Germany excluded. The first semester of college will kick your trash if you don't kick it back and nothing can make you stronger, if you let it. Or a freshman can just ride the current until finals week—and then they can grow up REALLY fast, if you know what I mean.
So even though I'm in my first year, I no longer feel like a freshman. I've started my major, I've moved off campus and have my own kitchen, and I haven't needed a map to find anything in ages. I'm an asset to any class I'm in, and I write pretty dang good papers. Usually. 
Another way that I'm no longer a freshman is that, last semester I took a test to earn back-credits of German. The test is mostly for return missionaries to give them credit for their language learned abroad. I wasn't gone for 2 years and I had no crash-course MTC or handbook, but I still wrestled 12 credits of A and 4 credits of A- out if that little test. Hah! Anyway, now the registrar says I'm a sophomore. So that's legit.

I love my major. 

I really do. This semester I have two classes that are related to linguistics, Intro to Linguistics and Phonetics of German. And I love what I'm learning in both of these classes. We get to delve deeply into what makes up a word, and do fun things like draw syntax trees and label morphological units. I have a scientific mind and love to look at things logically, but I really hate math. I really do. There's nothing I can do to make it make more sense to me. Linguistics, on the other hand, is definitely a science, but instead of numbers I get to play with sounds and spelling and sentences.
Like today for example, we talked about ambiguous sentences. 

"One morning, I shot an elephant in my pajamas. I don't know where he got them."

This is a joke based off an ambiguity.  The mind groups words together in a way that is subconscious and natural, at least for a native speaker. But is the prepositional phrase [in my pajamas] modifying [an elephant] or saying something about the verb, in that the subject was the one wearing the pajamas? Logic tells us that the subject was the wearer, as we all know elephants don't wear pajamas. 
As I don't know of any other linguists who read my blog, I probably lost you all a whole paragraph ago. Suffice it to say that I love my major. 
Also, I've decided to take one introductory language class a semester until I graduate. Or more.
So far the languages on my To Do list are:
  • Malay
  • Persian
  • Navajo
  • Turkish
  • Thai
  • Swedish
  • Italian
I know. I'm nuts. But that's what we linguists do, and anyway they say the second language is the hardest and I've already got three! So there it is. 

This morning I woke up to snow and donned a coat that was too thin to wear in November, when it was 20ยบ warmer. It was perfectly sufficient and I was quite warm by the time I got to class (although the hill's probably to blame for that). 
I guess my point is, we humans may like our homeostasis but part of that means that we can adjust to anything. I really like it here and I know I'm doing the right thing with my life.

I'm not saying I don't still want to move to New York, or Germany, or Turkey, or Jerusalem
*mischievous grin*


P.S. I'm so excited for Beth to come soon! We're going to have a marvelous rampaging-good time.


P.P.S. PLEASE NOTE: THIS IS MY 50th POST. WIN.

2 comments:

grams said...

I love you Lauren Margaret. You are so much fun and so much smarter than me.

Anonymous said...

Welcome to being a sophomore! Glad you've started blogging and I'll look forward to hearing from you.
- Deborah