Sunday, December 28

I Think About Words an Awful Lot

Words with cool translations that I have been pondering today:

die Hochzeit
dee Hoksite

the Wedding
literally, the High Time. Ergo, weddings are a very important and celebrated time in German culture.

der Erlöser
dare Ahrlusair

the Saviour
This is a little more iffy, because it's just me. No magical direct translation here.
Löschen means to erase. And er, to me, means error. Like, to err.
So in German, the Saviour is the one who erases our errors.
I like how to-the-point German can be.

3 comments:

Jules said...

Perhaps the high time suggests the marriage relationship is at its highest peak at the wedding? After the wedding, there are the pesky and oft irritating details of real life to deal with that can bring us crashing down from our high. The good news is if we handle life well and with humor and our spouse with care, the marriage relationship can deepen and increase in strength even if the euphoria of beginning love is hard to match. Or maybe its just what you said. . . (Laughing at myself!)

little miss erika said...

I like that too.

Although the other day my friend was trying to teach me to say "I like you" in swiss-german and it just sounded a bit like a mess to me. But maybe that's accurate too.

=) merry christmas and happy new year, miss!

Tiffany McLaws said...

What interesting words you're pondering on...Can you give me a phonetic pronunciation for the German?