Last Saturday I went to Köln with Allegra Bel and we wanted to do something different (I was thinking museum, tour something...) so she called her friend whose name I cannot spell to show us around. We ended up just wandering a lot, which is what we always do. I was okay with that. What I wasn't okay with was how LOUD this girl was! Her voice echoed off the houses. Yes. Echoed. As we were walking Allegra Bel heard a lady lean over to her friend and say, 'Unglaublich' - unbelievable. Yes, it was.
But we did get a bunch of great pictures, which will be accessable from the right hand column once Allegra Bel gets them to me.
In an attempt to be a good little class participater, I blew 8€25 on the book we are going to read in Deutsch. Everyone had to buy it, they don't have cool things like 'lending' in the schools here I guess. The book is called 'Der Vorleser', or 'The Reader' and, I am not going to read it. Take a look at the summary to help you understand why. I was, however, proud of how quickly and effortlessly (in a literary sense) I was able to read the first 26 pages - which is where I stopped.
On Wednesday I got to watch Germans hit the ball with 'Das Ding' - the thing - in Sportlesson. After hitting the ball with the thing (amazingly) they ran around 4 mats and then dove into a big mat at the end for points.
Yes, The Thing is a bat. And everyone had the most awful form. I mean, yelling 'Choke Up!' wouldn't even begin to help these kids.
Also, at some point a kid ran all the way around without having to stop. After his rather impressive dive into the mat, another boy yelled, 'Touchdown!' and I burst out laughing. He looked at me sideways, so I yelled, 'Home Run!' And that didn't seem to help him (or anyone else, for that matter) so I said, 'Wrong sport.' And he glared.
Sorry, dude. Don't mess with the national pasttime.
Another boy kept doing the hand motion for 'safe' when people got out. I didn't even try on that one.
Later, Elder Weng (the only German missionary) said that he knew what all those things should have been called and that the kids in my school must be dumb. But then, he has been rooming with American boys for a year or so, so I don't take his word on it.
This week I wrote a test in Informations 2, Math, and English. Pretty sure I bombed them all.
And lastly, I would like to quote Katie in saying that this is terrifying. When we discussed it in my Politics class today, some of the topics were that
'This is happening too often since it started in America,'
'Kids in America like school and enjoy being there more since they have activities there,'
'But they have metal detectors at schools in America too, and weapons still get in,' (which was followed by 'You can kill someone with a butterknife')
'They need to tighten up on gun laws in Europe, and Americans set a bad example. They all have guns in their homes.'
And not once did anyone ask my opinion. Do I need to wear a FLAG on my head?
6 comments:
only if you think itll matter :) most eople are so content with their own delusions theyd prefer not to have the facts burst them :)
You bombed the ENGLISH test?! :) (Good luck on the ACT.)
I just like giving my opinion anyway.
Mom, I bombed the translation section. Thanks for the luck anyway!
They don't ask your opinion because: you aren't in America so how would you know, you can't speak good German so you must not be too bright, and when you discuss ideas the facts just get in the way. Facts are way less fun. Ask Limbaugh.
Touchdown! Those poor exch students in Jefferson watching us play soccer...
That's not fair! :) It's not an English translation class is it? I have full confidence that you actually do know English.
I would love to ask Limbaugh but he would probably cut me off before I could get it all out.
Yes, I thought about that with the soccer too.
Thank you for your confidence, Mom, but it may actually be in vain. We will have to see.
Post a Comment