Sunday, March 1

Some Rather German Occurences

This weekend was gorgeous weather - 12°C! That is.... roundabouts 55°F. Holy smokes. I went to the store and didn't wear a jacket! I did, however, wear a scarf - thanks Jacinda. Regina planted some flowers in the backyard. One kind was a snow-something and she told me a story:
The snow needed a color. It went to all of the flowers: the tulips, the roses. It asked again and again if it could have some color from the flowers, but all said no. Finally the snow asked the snowflower, who gladly shared its color - white - with the snow. In return, the snow promised to never fall after the snowflower had bloomed, so that it could live.
Aw, how cute.

Yesterday I helped Ingo put together a ..schrank... wardrobe thing for Anna Lena's room

INSTANT UPDATE: Johannes said: 'Das ist keine Gründe auszuflippen!' That is no reason to flip out. *unstoppable giggle*

anyway, I was helping Ingo build the wardrobe and I remembered the basic rules of Helping:
  1. Do hand things instantaneously.
  2. Do not block the light.
  3. Do not make unnecessary movements.
  4. Do give helpful suggestions.
  5. Do not get in the way.
  6. Do NOT lose that screw I just handed you.
I think we did a pretty slick job, if I do say so myself!

As Regina and Ingo were getting out of the car on the way home from church (I had come home in the first cycle), a neighbor stopped them and asked after their American - 'Is she well? She is always running out of the houses wearing the lightest of clothing - why, once I saw her going for the bus with a skirt and no tights!'
I promise you - I wear them! I do! Sometimes they are skin-colored. So shoot me. Anyway, I am going to be more careful about what I do in the frontyard....

Something I have noticed recently is that all windows in Germany open. The weather has been, as I have mentioned, wonderful and I have begun to notice the mirror surfaces of skyscrapers being broken by little holes - open windows. I am starting to really like that all of the windows open - no air is better than fresh air.

And FINALLY: German organists.

All of those here who have ever used a Mormon hymnbook (i dunno about the other kinds) will know that there are little brackets above the bars marking what is the suggested introduction before the song. Therefore, the songleader watches these little sections, the organist play them, the hand goes up, the song begins. Smooth as pie.
Wrong! I have conducted for my hostsister for 2 weeks now, and not once have they played the suggested brackets! What are they playing then? No clue. Keine Ahnung.
On the closing hymn today I was confused and so I waited a second and the lady just took off without me - I had to catch up to her. Honestly.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I thought you needed a comment. It's all lovely. I'd like to see more.

Unknown said...

People are concerned about me getting married and concerned about what you wear outside. Mind your own business! Actually, they are just very concerned for our well-being:) Honestly Meg, you should be more careful. Also, I know exactly what you mean about the introduction in church...WHAT IS UP WITH THAT? I was thinking maybe I was the only one bothered by it... now I know I'm not alone.