(google it. i forgot to take a picture!)
About 30 seconds after the washing machine turned off, she walked into the kitchen. I thought, "Wow, that was good timing!" and then realized to my dismay that I had no clue how to say that in German. Luckily, my dictionary was already in the kitchen from when I used it yesterday to make sure the tea I wanted to try was all right, so I grabbed it and 'hit after' (nachschlag, looked up) time. This is what I found.
time [taɪm] n Zeit m; ... ... ... you -d that well das hast du gut getimt; ... ... ....
So I said to my host (I'm a quick nachschlager), das hast du gut getimmt! (like, gətɪmt or Tim like the name).
And she just looked at me like, What?
So I started babble-explaining. Anyone who's lived in a foreign country knows what I mean.
"You know, you came in at the same time that the washer stopped and I don't know how to say that you came in at a good time." (in german, of course. I'm no slacker.)
So she took my dictionary from me, and after a minute, started laughing.
"Ge-time-t! haha. getimmt sagt kein Mensch." (no one says it that way)
Let me wrap up what's happened so far. I read, with my german phonetics training, the entry from the dictionary. She corrected me because you actually say it exactly like the English word. That, my friends, is what the Germans call Denglisch. A completely English word, plus German grammar, equals a German word.
This is real, people. It's in the dictionary.
So now you know how to tell someone they had good timing in German—and don't forget to say it in a heavy American accent, so they'll actually understand you!
No comments:
Post a Comment