Raised on the plains, matured along the Rhine. Studying in the mountains, awed by Berlin. Currently: Serving the Lord in Frankfurt
Monday, April 1
My camera battery died this week
so I didn't take a single picture. YOU try remembering to plug your camera in at 10pm when you're so full of cake you can't move and your toes are freezing!
Last Sunday we didn't even plan out any members to talk to, and by the time the ward conference potluck was over, we already were booked solid for the week. I love this ward. Also, it's spring vacation so everyone has time for us. On Tuesday, all 6 missionaries went to the Oelkrugs' house to help them cut down a bunch of bushes. I got assigned to cutting all the twigs off the branches that the elders tossed out of the trees. I would say I was offended by this lightweight job (women can climb trees too ya know!), but they had Sis. Haas on root digging duty, and she's a tiny ballerina. So it had to be luck of the draw.
Although, on that subject, whenever I tried to help stack tables after the potluck on Sunday, whatever man was nearest me would start laughing and be like, "Oh Sister Teusch. No." and then take the table away from me! Excuse me sir, I've been Mormon my whole life! You think I've never stacked a table before??
Anyway.
In church yesterday we had an Easter musical program in the joint Relief Society/Priesthood meeting, and it was magical. We lucked out with an Elder who just happened to study music in college. Man can that boy sing. The spirit was really present as we talked about the Savior. Oh, and then we got chocolate eggs.
Which brings me to my next point.
I would like to dispel a stereotype that has permeated the Church culture from all sides. Missionaries are not always hungry. I'm not saying there aren't some places in the world where the missionaries happen to be more hungry than I currently am. But instead of just assuming your missionaries 1.) haven't eaten all day 2.) would also like 3 pieces of cake, may I suggest you ask them? Ask them how hungry they are. Insist they be honest. And then don't make them eat any more than they want to. It's possible they're not taking seconds because they're polite. It's also possible that they're not taking seconds because you're the 3rd person to feed them that day and they've also eaten more cake this week than you've ever seen in your life.
I hope that this public service announcement hasn't hurt anyone's feelings and will maybe help poor missionaries like me feel less like a blimp every second of their lives. Because seriously. A blimp. Who has to run after buses all day. Not fun.
My final thought (wow this is getting long) is that next week is GENERAL CONFERENCE! It's like the super bowl for missionaries. Just remember, as you start to nod off in the middle of the Mormon Tabernacle Choir singing Consider the Lilies, that there have been thousands of years in the history of our world when people longed for the voice of the Lord through his prophets to guide them. Not only can you hear his voice, you can do it on your bed in your pajamas with facebook open in the other tab.
Just think about that. And then decide to to general conference a little different this year. Pick a question. Think of something in the gospel you don't fully understand. Think of a commandment you have trouble keeping. Think of a decision you're trying to make, or that someone you know is trying to make. Think of anything that you don't feel entirely satisfied about. And then think about it prayerfully all through conference. I promise that answers or comfort or direction will come.
And then write me about it if you want. I'm allowed to write back now :)
Love you!
Sister Teusch
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment